Monday, January 7, 2008

Some people I want to remember

Some people I want to remember:

  • College students who showed me and Stephanie (a British girl I met who was also doing a missions trip with OMF) around Tokyo - very sweet of them. Had some great ramen together too. It was nice that Stephanie was in Tokyo for a few days at the beginning of my trip so that we could poke around the city together.
  • Good talks with the de Boos (these were the main missionaries I came to serve with). I feel like I could talk to Eline for hours. I so appreciate her openness about missionary life. I've learned so much about Japan from Eline and Geert. They've been in Japan for a few years. They are so proactive about sharing the good news about Christ to so many Japanese that they are reaching out to. Geert meets with a young man who got heartbroken by a girl (the cause of some of the suicides in Japan) who is the philosophical type and is interested in Christianity. The couple also meets with a young Japanese couple who are not Christians but come to their house to study the Bible and hang out. The de Boos are so hospitable. They left quite good careers in the Netherlands to give the prime years of their life to serve Japan. They love the Japanese, their kids, architecture, and the gospel. Oh, and they love Tim Keller sermons. It is so nice to see their partnership in marriage as well and how they are together committed to following this Person named Jesus Christ (I would definitely desire this kind of partnership in marriage, if I ever get married). I'm appreciative of all the meals Eline cooked (I hardly used my meal budget!) and even more appreciative of having the opportunity to watch the de Boos' example of faith, dedication, love and excellence in their ministry.
  • Wolfgang and Dorothea Langhan - a German couple; the husband is the director of OMF Japan. Somehow I think they are such a cute German couple. Mrs Langhan made us so much homemade food - even the ice cream with fruit jam was homemade. Mr Langhan washes dishes with extremely hot water. He's very fast at washing dishes too. I really see his servant's heart. Even though he is the 'boss' (director of OMF Japan), after a farewell lunch for one of his staff, he immediately started washing the dirty dishes of his staff (also the dishes of me and other short-term missionaries after we had dinner at his own place).
  • Dinner at the Langhans with Fanny (Hong Kong), Natanya (Northern Ireland) and Stephanie (England) and sharing how we came to be in Japan (including hearing how the Langhans ended up in Japan)
  • Fanny: she works with youth in her church in Hong Kong. If she moves to Japan to do full-time ministry, she will be the first missionary sent out from her church in 45 (?) years. The people in her youth group encourage her to serve in Japan so that they will have an example (of a missionary) to follow as they don’t have any other examples. I love Fanny’s excitement and enthusiasm about serving God. She had to buy boots for visiting snowy Hokkaido because they don't sell snow boots in Hong Kong.

  • Also, cf the captions for the pictures in the "main slideshow" and "things I want to remember" for more great people. This list is getting long!

No comments: